Thursday, February 21, 2008

Play Instead of Roast

Last night I couldn't fall asleep.  So, after the monotony of watching shadows from passing headlights started to gnaw at my brain, I decided to get out of bed and go downstairs.  These days the one thing that keeps me awake at night is the future of the local church.  So in the glow of my almost-crackling electric fireplace, I began to write...

I was on the Washington Peninsula today...I love it there.  There's just something about it.  You feel closer to God when you're there.  The sky is a deep, welcoming shade of blue.  Mt Rainier looks like it's about to take over the world as the Olympic Mountains stand in opposition to its conquest.  There are days when I miss it there.  Today was one of those days.

I have a friend that lives out there.  He's a good friend.  We worked at the same place for about two days once.  It was a good two days.  

We grabbed lunch today and he encouraged me like only he can.  He has been a kind of life coach and mentor to me and most of the mentoring has been while we have lived in different cultures and communities.  His investment in me actually began while we lived in different states.  It all started when my church slapped a restraining order on a student for pulling a knife on a board member.  I'll save that story for another day.

I told Heather that he's an unique person.  He is so inspiring to be around and yet sometimes after being with him you feel like you'll never amount to anything.  It's like coming home from Jazz Alley and grabbing your instrument so you can take the first step at becoming the cosmos' next virtuoso.  Then, as you look at your guitar you think it would be better served as kindling for roasting marshmallows.  He's kind of like that.

After today...I think I'll play instead of roast.  Thanks for walking the journey with me Wes.


No comments: