Saturday, April 5, 2008

Spirit Filled

I think I am a part of a generation that is getting tired of mere experiential faith. What I mean by that is there are some that don't see the value in having experiences that have little to no impact on how the world functions. I think the baptism in the Holy Spirit has become this for many of us. It seems limited to a moment in time, an experience, an event. I am afraid if the spirit-filled life is only a moment at an altar we may lose the baptism altogether as generations that follow us see the lack of purpose and power. I am convinced that if the baptism of the Spirit isn't affecting a life outside of an event or moment then there isn't much evidence that the life is actually spirit-filled. What good is initial physical evidence if there isn't any other evidence to follow? "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal." What a mighty percussion section we have become.

I am not suggesting that experience or moments in the presence of God are invalid or unnecessary. On the contrary, I myself have been forever changed by those moments. However, if we limit the working of the Spirit to a camp or tent meeting, then we have done a disservice to the Spirit's working. May we not forget the moments following the upper room. The world was changed because what followed the day of out-pouring. There was a mighty evidence that happened but that evidence was a means to an end. May we be consumed with the end not just the means!

Easter could never of happened without Christmas. Pentecost could never have happened without Easter. The Great Commission could never have happened without Pentecost. But the Great Commission couldn't have been carried out if men and women hadn't taken courage, lived empowered and missional lives. We are the ancestors of those men and women. May their flame continue in us. May we be inspired to pursue the Spirit and his in-filling so that we may lived empowered lives that change the world and make much of the name of Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pete, great thoughts, I am glad you are a part of the blog world. Thanks for challenging us and encouraging us.

David H Myhill said...

I have to smile at this, because it is so true. I do believe that it is the passion God has desired to give your generation.

In youth group we used to say things like: "Peter Blue won't be there Monday morning playing worship." Meaning that we had to make this real in our lives.