Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What Do I Have to Complain About (Part 2)

I went on a "prayer drive" today.  I got in my mid-nineties, teal Silverado and started to drive around town.  I spent an hour and a half just listening to God and dreaming about the future.  I stopped to take an occasional picture of random activities going on around me and then it jumped out at me.  A challenge that made me ask the same haunting question as last night.  The billboard says, "Rainy days a year: 150 - Not everyone in the world is so lucky."

UNICEF estimates that some 16 million people face immediate risk due to the current drought in Eastern Africa. In the country of Ethiopia alone, about 8 million people are in danger. Of those, about 1.4 million are children under age five.

When it rains in Seattle, I don't ever look to heaven and thank the God of creation.  On most rainy days, I cover my head and complain. There are children all over the world that are dying because of a lack of clean drinking water and I drag my feet at the first sign of a little drizzle. What on earth do I have to complain about? Absolutely nothing. 

Dear God, please don't stop talking to me.  Sometimes it stings and my ego takes a necessary beating. However, I would rather hear your voice than continue to be the wretch you captured years ago.  It comforts me to know that you even choose to speak to people in teal automobiles on random "prayer drives."

No comments: