Monday, March 3, 2008

What Do I Have to Complain About

I have been giving some thought to something I witnessed on Sunday night. I was given a glimpse into the the country of Iran. We had a combined worship service with our Iranian Branch Church, Nejat, and had a catered Iranian dinner. It was a pretty eye-opening night. Having both cultures together was a great picture of how beautiful and powerful the Cedar Park Cathedral Model can be.

An hour into the night, emotions washed over me when a video was played telling of the faith of the underground church in Iran.  It told of people who risk their lives to gather together in unity to worship their newly found Messiah.  Most of them risk imprisonment and even physical harm since the act converting from Islam is illegal in Iran.  Many Iranian Christians have even given the ultimate sacrifice of dying for the sake of the gospel.  Later in the evening, I even found out that some of the leadership of Nejat have to keep their identity secret because their family could face persecution if their conversion was brought into the light.

Some days I complain because I have to work too many hours at the church.  Other days I consider quitting because other people don't like my music.  Thoughts of self-pity fill my mind when there are days I don't feel like I'm used to my full potential.  Then I talk to Christians with family members that actually put their lives on the line for the gospel.  In those moments all of my problems seem very petty.  What do I have to complain about?  I live in a country where I am free to worship any way I please and I can tell anyone about my faith without any serious consequences.  Yet, I sit in my office whining to God about my imperfect ministry life and neglect to tell my neighbor of the God that have a personal relationship with.  Something doesn't add up here.  Most days I need a very healthy reality check because I have nothing to complain about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right on! Life isn't so tough, even in the ministry!